Maybe your kitchen has been remodeled, and now it’s a showcase of glossy metal and glass, of sleek lines and shapes. It could be your bath space is lovely and comfortable enough that every visit seems like a luxury. What about your master suite, with its plethora of down pillows, clean linens and pastel walls? When your home’s interior is already on point, it’s time to focus on exterior upgrades next.
Exterior elements like your windows, gutters and roofing are what guests and neighbors first notice. If you want your home to make a bigger impression, it pays to have an exterior just as attractive as the interior. Fortunately, making this a reality isn’t as daunting as you might expect, especially when you have the help of professionals offered at Legacy Exteriors Calgary. Here are the top home-exterior upgrades you should consider this season:
- Roof Replacement
MATERIALS MATTER: Your choice of material affects your new roof’s performance and longevity, so choose smart.
Your roofing system plays a dual role in your home, providing superior weather protection while helping define its overall look. When your current roof is already showing signs of extensive damage, it might be the perfect time to invest in a better and longer-lasting solution in roof replacement. You’ll find that investing in a newer, better roof provides you with a number of aesthetic and practical advantages. Replace your roof and you ensure:
- Your home remains dry and damage-free all year round. After all, weather performance is a roof’s primary function. For this reason, make sure you choose a durable roofing material for your replacement system. This way, you’re sure that your new roof can provide the exceptional weather resistance you expect. There are many great options available on today’s market. Weigh each material’s pros and cons and judge them against your home’s needs.
Some of the most popular roofing choices include asphalt shingles, which continue to grace millions of homes across the country–and for good reason! They are lightweight, which makes them easy to install, and don’t require an additional support structure to hold them up, so they’re more cost-effective than other roofing materials. Advanced technology has also made it possible for asphalt shingles to resist extreme weather better and for much longer. In fact, some shingle roofing manufacturers have even treated them with cool roof coatings to help improve your home’s energy efficiency.
- Your home gets increased curb appeal. A new and vibrant roof looks good, doesn’t it? This is especially handy when you’re aiming for architectural or historic accuracy. Typically, some roofing materials work better with a specific architecture. For example, metal roofing is a staple on modern and contemporary homes because of its seamless look, while wood shakes and shingles add to the rustic charm of cottage and cabin homes. On the other hand, clay tile matches better with Spanish-mission homes, while slate is perfect for colonial and Victorian homes.
If you want a more cost-effective roofing option that can still make your home stand out, you can always go for asphalt shingles. They are nothing if not versatile, coming in a range of colors, textures and thicknesses. In fact, some asphalt shingles can even emulate the rich look and feel of genuine slate or wood shakes, allowing for more design possibilities.
- Seamless Gutter Installation
A CLOG-FREE GUTTER SYSTEM: Do away with gutter maintenance with a gutter protection system.
If you’re investing in a replacement roof, why not get a new gutter system to go with it? However, you don’t have to wait until it’s time for a new roof to upgrade your gutters.. After all, a more durable, reliable gutter system can effectively complement your roof with its draining capabilities. By channeling rainwater away, gutters maintain your home’s structural integrity. This means less potential for water seeping into your walls and foundation, creating cracks and weakening your home’s overall structure. New gutters can also help prevent flooding and soil erosion, ensuring your landscaping remains unharmed.
Sectional vs. Seamless Gutters
Gutters are typically available in two options: sectional and seamless. Sectional gutters come in separate pieces strung together along the length of your roof. While cost-effective, they have shorter lifespans. This is because even when properly installed and maintained, they are designed with a lot of joints that could be potential sources for leaks and other damage.
Seamless gutters, on the other hand, address the underlying issue of sectional gutters. Using a continuous piece of material for troughs, seamless gutters only have joints where troughs meet each other. Additionally, because they are created to precise measurements, this excellent system is guaranteed to fit perfectly along your roof. Their sleek design also allows for an attractive addition, complementing homes of various architectural styles. Seamless gutters are created on-site so installing them can’t be done as a DIY project.
- Window Replacement
Windows let light and air into your home, but that’s not the only thing they can provide. They also contribute greatly to improving beauty, comfort and energy efficiency. That’s why you should invest in new windows before your old and worn units compromise your home’s look and feel. Just make sure you cover all your bases. You should, for instance, choose the right window style that best meets your home’s specific needs.
- For maximizing your home’s outdoor views, choose picture windows. Their slim frames and expansive glass areas can help bring the beauty of the outdoors inside, creating a stronger connection between your indoor and outdoor living spaces. They can also give any room a more spacious feel. Other good options for this purpose include bay and bow windows, both of which have a curved design that allows for an extended outdoor view.
- For brightening and ventilating smaller rooms, get casement windows. These units are perfect in laundry or bathrooms because they have large enough glass areas to let in natural light. They also have sashes that can be opened fully or angled to direct breezes into these compact spaces, helping prevent excessive indoor moisture. This makes them especially handy for getting rid of lingering odors and humidity buildup, which can encourage mold and mildew growth.
DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS: All window styles have something to offer you. Get to know each option to find the best replacement window for you.
- For improving indoor air quality, select double hung windows. They are one of the best options for getting access to natural ventilation because all you need to do is open both sashes at the same time. This allows warm, stale air to exit the room via the top sash while letting in cooler, fresher air through the bottom. This improves indoor air quality and provides energy savings.
- For preventing significant energy loss, install picture windows and casement windows. The former are fixed, meaning they keep tighter, more durable seals. When closed, the latter’s sashes press firmly against their frame, greatly insulating against air leakages. This helps keep a more stable indoor temperature, which means reduced loads on your HVAC system.
- For adding more space to your home, go for bay and bow windows. They have deep sill areas that offer a number of functions. You can, for instance, use this area as a cozy breakfast nook, lounge area, small storage area, shelves for your favorite reading materials or a surface for displaying plants, photos, and other decorative items. Plus, the curved design and expansive glass of these windows let sunlight into the room from multiple directions, allowing for a brighter, more spacious feel
To make the most of what roof replacement, seamless-gutter installation and window replacement can do for you, make sure that you hire a trusted home improvement expert in your area. Working with the right professional means getting quality products and reliable craftsmanship, both of which are critical to making the most of your investment.
As part of Exterior Source, a premier home improvement company serving Central Virginia and the Tidewater area, Vicki Kiger brings more than 14 years of specific marketing experience in the home improvement field, including an extensive background handling special events. Additionally, she also served on the Board of Directors of the Chesterfield Chamber of Commerce and the Richmond Animal League. For home improvement updates from Vicki, check out the Exterior Source blog!