Your home’s bathroom should feel like a sanctuary. No longer considered a utilitarian space, today’s bathrooms are a place where you can relax before going to work and unwind after a long day. If this doesn’t sound like your own bathroom, maybe it’s time to plan for an upgrade. Even the smallest modifications can breathe new life into your space. Whether you want to add storage or enhance its appearance and efficiency, this article contains many bathroom remodel ideas that will provide countless benefits for your family.
BATHROOM REMODEL: When it comes to the bathroom, even the smallest upgrades can do a lot in enhancing the beauty, function, and comfort of your space.
Despite all the amazing advantages of a bathroom remodel, however, some homeowners remain hesitant to make the investment. This is probably because it is one of the costliest upgrade projects you can do. According to the 2018 Cost vs. Value Report, a typical bathroom remodels costs anywhere from $19,000 to $62,000. The good news is you can recoup a significant percentage of that money over time. The bath remodeling company in Columbus or bathroom remodeling with Bayremodeling in Los Altos offers bathroom remodeling services that match your goals at the best price possible.
The Many Benefits of Upgrading Your Home’s Bathroom
Upgrading your bathroom can have a remarkable impact on the overall value and comfort of your home. Not only can it become a favorite place for relaxation, but a properly remodeled bathroom can make sure that your plumbing components and fixtures are in working order. Additionally, it will also greatly enhance the function of your space and will likely increase your property value. Today, it’s been noted that people spend an average of 30 minutes in the bathroom. The bathroom is an extension of your bedroom as it’s where you find comfort and solace and often where you hide to not make your emotions visible for everyone to see. So, if a bathroom is cozy and nice, it could become a place of respite. Today’s modern bathrooms have provided many a place to relax, unwind, and loosen up.
AESTHETIC ADVANTAGE: A bathroom upgrade offers a significant boost in aesthetics. You’ll be surprised how much you enjoy your newly renovated bathroom.
The benefits of a bathroom remodel include:
- Stylish look and feel – Bathroom trends are always changing, and if your home was built in the 70s or 80s, chances are it could use a makeover. Remodeling your bathroom is an excellent way to take your current space from blah to beautiful. Instead of being annoyed by dated fixtures and countertops, you’ll enjoy both the renewed appearance and functionality of your bathroom with a remodel. You can make use of 3D floor plan software to bring the layout to life so that you can see every detail like it’s all completed before your eyes.
- Increased storage space – When it comes to the bathroom, you can never have too much storage! A well-planned bathroom layout will make sure the room has plenty of space. Whether you replace an enormous vanity with a more streamlined fixture or install new cabinets, you can enjoy a more airy and spacious room after the remodel. It would also be nice if everything that you need would be within reach. So, spaces for your hand towels, toilet paper, and sanitizers would be a great addition.
- Big returns on investment – A beautifully remodeled bathroom can ultimately increase your home value in terms of returns. A mid-range remodel itself can help you recoup as much as 70% of the total job cost over time.
Ideal Bathroom Upgrades to Consider
Your bathroom is one of the most important rooms in your home. As such, you need to make sure it is up-to-date with the latest and most effective features. Here are some upgrades you should consider:
- Walk-in Tubs – These tubs are designed with swinging doors, allowing you to get in without hassle–a feature perfect for someone with mobility issues. Walk-in tubs also have seats at a comfortable height, letting you get back up easily once you’re finished bathing. They can also come with anti-slip flooring and handrails for improved safety. These are helpful if there are older adults living in your home. You’ll have peace of mind knowing that the risk of them injuring themselves from slips and falls will be less.
- Hot Tubs and Swim Spas – Ready to take your bathroom relaxation to the next level? Try installing a hot tub or swim spa in your bathroom. These components can soak away your troubles and stress after a long day. There’s nothing more comforting than soaking and melting your stress away with lavender-infused bath bombs and luxurious shower gels.
- Trough Sinks – Trough sinks are a simple way to add elegance to your bathroom. These sinks combine two double sinks into one. In addition to a unique look, there are other benefits of trough sinks for your bathroom like easy cleaning, beauty, and more.
BATHROOM RELAXATION: Spruce up your bathroom relaxation by installing a hot tub or swim spa. These can add serenity and elegance to your existing space.
- Bath Conversions – Whether you prefer a morning shower or an evening bath, your personal bathroom time is a vital part of your daily routine. With the help of a professional, you can easily convert your tub to a shower or a shower to a tub, allowing you to bathe exactly the way you want to. This decision is crucial as this would dictate how invigorating and relaxing your morning and night could be respectively.
Tips to Make the Most of Your Bathroom Remodel
Bathroom remodeling is one of the most popular home improvement projects around, and while many homeowners have some basic knowledge about the process, there’s no such thing as having too much information when it comes to your investment. Whether you want to remodel or modify your bathroom, it pays to have a plan. Below are some of the things you should consider to get the most out of your bathroom remodel:
- Establish a budget. This is a no-brainer for tackling any home improvement project, and with bathroom remodels, it is doubly important. Before shopping for new features, be sure to have a clear budget in mind so you can avoid breaking the bank. Unfortunately, there’s a possibility of hidden damage within your bathroom, such as water damage, faulty pipes, or even leaky toilets. To make sure your budget covers these unexpected expenses, it’s a good idea to pad your original budget estimate by 15% or more for contingencies.
- Never cut corners. Remodels can be expensive. You might be tempted to purchase cheaper, low-quality materials and hire amateur labor to save on costs. A word of advice: do not settle for less, as it will leave you with a finished product you’re unhappy with. In the end, you might just spend more money to get the issues fixed upright. Choosing a professional contractor is key to making sure you’ll get the best value for your money. The right team will install high-quality materials suited perfectly to your needs and will finish the job correctly the first time.
- Consider making your bathroom more efficient. Thanks to the advent of modern technology, today’s homeowners can take advantage of many new features that can increase water efficiency in their bathrooms. Talk to your contractor and ask for recommendations to help you narrow down your options. There are plenty of efficient features today that offer huge savings while also boosting style and function. Also, consider using sustainable materials while you’re at it. You can start by choosing an eco-friendly showerhead that lets you save water. You may also want to consider using glass, bamboo, cork, and porcelain; they’re more sustainable options that’ll give your bathroom a stunning, unique look.
Tackling a bathroom remodel can be confusing, especially if it’s your first time. You’ll want to make sure that your remodeled space not only meets your needs but that it adds comfort, function, and value to your home. That said, you need to plan everything carefully to ensure the smooth flow of your project. This is why it helps to work with an expert remodeling contractor from start to finish. With the right options presented to you, backed by proper guidance on each choice, you’re sure to make all the right decisions critical to the success of your bathroom remodel.
Dawn Dewey is the marketing director for Dreamstyle Remodeling and Renewal by Andersen (New Mexico, San Diego, Tucson, and Boise). One of Professional Remodeler magazine’s 40 Under 40 for 2015, she’s passionate about home improvement, animal welfare, the environment, and civil rights. Stay up-to-date with the latest trends in home improvement through the Dreamstyle Remodeling blog!