Volatile Organic Compounds, commonly referred to as VOCs, are a group of chemicals that can be dangerous to both human health and the world we live in. They are found in many household products individuals use and inhale on a day-to-day basis, such as various cleaning products, air fresheners, and gas. Craft supplies, such as glue, permanent markers, and materials used in printers can contain them as well. Activities such as cooking and utilizing a fireplace to burn wood as well as materials such as paint, wood products, and carpeting can also contain VOCs.
Headaches, dizziness, nausea, and allergy-like symptoms can occur as a result of ingesting items and materials that contain VOCs. Over time, damage to the liver, kidney, and central nervous system can result as well as hearing and memory loss. It is especially important for individuals with asthma and the elderly to take extra precautions to avoid ingesting VOCs.
It’s important to understand the personal effects VOCs can have on you and your loved ones. In addition, VOCs can also negatively affect the environment we live in. We must take the necessary precautions to protect ourselves and our environment from both the short and long-term effects of VOCs. Look to the infographic below, where you can learn more about VOCs, their harmful environmental effects, and how we can take action now.