Learning time management skills begins with staying focused.
Some people may view time management as a list of rules that involves scheduling of appointments, goal setting, thorough planning, creating to do lists and prioritizing. These are the core basics of time management that should be understood to develop effective personal time management skills.
There are more skills involved in time management than the core basics. Skills such as decision making and critical thinking are also essential to your personal growth.
Personal time management involves everything you do. No matter how big and no matter how small, everything counts. Each new knowledge you acquire, each new piece of advice you consider, and any new skills you develop should be taken into consideration.
Having a balanced lifestyle is key in having personal time management. This is the main aspect that many practitioners of personal time management fail to grasp.
Time management is about getting results, not about being busy.
The four areas of personal time management that can contribute to your personal growth are: physical, intellectual, social, and career.
- The physical aspect involves having a healthy body, less stress, and fatigue.
- The intellectual aspect involves learning and other mental growth activities.
- The social aspect involves developing personal relationships and being an active contributor to society.
- The career aspect involves school and work.
Thoroughly planning and having a to do list for each of the key areas may not be very practical, but determining which area in your life is not getting enough attention is part of time management.
A great way of learning time management habits and improving your personal life is to follow several basic activities. One of them is to review your goals whether they be immediate or long-term. A way to do this is to keep a list that is always accessible to you. Determine which task is necessary for achieving your goals and which activities are helping you maintain a balanced life style.
Time management is the art and science of building a better life.
- Learning to say “No”. This has always been difficult for me. However, I’ve found that learning to say no can lift an unnecessary burden even if involves family or friends.
- Don’t procrastinate. Attend to necessary things immediately.
- Have a positive attitude and set yourself up for success. Be realistic in your approach to achieving your goals.
- Keep a record or journal of your activities. This will help you put things in proper perspective.
These are the few tips to help you become a well-rounded individual. When you implement time management skills into your life, you’re on the road to incredible personal growth.