Twice Baked Loaded Potatoes ~ Not Your Average Potato!
Twice Baked Loaded Potatoes are nothing short of amazing. They are versatile in their toppings and always fresh. The trick with these little gems is whipping the potatoes so they are smooth and creamy, then add in your toppings before baking again. It infuses the normally bland potatoes with a ton of flavor and takes your Twice Baked Loaded Potatoes from delicious to amazing. Your family will love the change from a basic baked potato and you’ll love the smiles.
Change Up Your Twice Baked Loaded Potatoes
Get creative with your toppings with your Twice Baked Loaded Potatoes! Whatever your favorites, add them in for amazing results. I used leftover bacon from breakfast in my Twice Baked Loaded Potatoes because bacon makes everything better! Cheddar cheese, sour cream, and chives finished out my favorite flavors and made the best potatoes. I’ve also made these with a bit of leftover taco meat and toppings, making them a fantastic change to the tried and true taco. A friend of mine chopped up some leftover corned beef she had cooked in her Crock-Pot, as well as some Swiss cheese, then topped it with a bit of leftover sauerkraut and brown mustard for a Reuben Twice Baked Loaded Potatoes. I thought it was a little weird until I tried it and I was in LOVE! They were some seriously tasty Twice Baked Loaded Potatoes!
- 6 baking potatoes, scrubbed and pierced with a fork
- 2 T butter, softened
- 2 T sour cream + more for garnish
- ¼ C shredded cheddar cheese + more for garnish
- 5 strips bacon, cooked crispy + more for garnish
- 1 T fresh or dried chives
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place potatoes on the rack in the oven and bake 40 minutes to an hour, until the potatoes are tender when a fork is pressed into the center.
- Remove from oven and let cool until potatoes can be handled safely and comfortably.
- Cut a sliver off the top of the long edge of each potato. Scoop the flesh out into a bowl, leaving ¼ inch of flesh attached to the skin for support.
- Add butter and sour cream, and mix using a hand mixer. When the potatoes are smooth, add the cheese and 3 of the bacon strips crumbled.
- Place on a baking sheet or in a shallow baking dish. Return to the oven for 15 minutes, until the tops are golden brown and slightly crispy.
- Top with extra sour cream, cheddar, small pieces of bacon, and chives.
- Serve hot.
Making Up a Big Batch of Twice Baked Loaded Potatoes
You can make up a big batch of Twice Baked Loaded Potatoes and freeze them after stuffing the shells, but before you bake them the second time. Once they are frozen, place them in a plastic zippy bag or freezer container, and you have them whenever you want to take them out and bake them. Add a few more minutes to the bake time when you remove them from the freezer, and they will be just like fresh made. Remember to keep the toppings you like on hand for when they come out of the oven and you’ll be all set with a beautiful Twice Baked Loaded Potatoes.
Skip the plain old baked potato and make up some Twice Baked Loaded Potatoes!