Contributed by John Zatwarnytsky
Investing in an exterior upgrade project is one of the simplest ways to achieve your dream home without having to search for and purchase a new one. Fortunately, there are plenty of projects that can help transform your home’s exterior and enhance its beauty. In addition, many specialized products are available that come with top-of-the-line features to boost a home’s energy efficiency, durability and overall value.
EXTERIOR UPGRADES: Exterior home improvement projects offer a more significant return on investment than many large-scale interior renovations.
When most homeowners consider investing in valuable home improvement projects, the first thing that usually comes to mind is a master-bedroom renovation or a family-room addition. While these upgrades are truly appealing and can promote a more comfortable living space, they can also be significantly expensive and may not offer the best return on investment. Interestingly, exterior-upgrade projects add the most value and are much more cost-effective than large-scale remodels. Apart from their remarkable advantage to home value, these upgrades are also reliable when it comes to enhancing the curb appeal and function of your home. What are these upgrades? Here are three top exterior upgrade projects you should consider:
#1: Siding Replacement
Siding serves as one of your home’s primary protection against the weather. It keeps you, your family, and your valuables safe from intense heat, strong winds and heavy rains. In addition, it can boost your home’s value immensely. According to the 2017 Cost vs. Value report, you can recoup as much as 76.4% of the total job cost when you invest in siding replacement, making it one of the most sought-after upgrade projects in the United States.
WRAPPING UP YOUR HOME: Siding is one of the most noticeable elements of your exterior. With the right siding, you can enjoy a more beautiful home and a greater property value.
However, there is more to siding replacement than just improved value. Here are some of the most notable advantages of this project:
- It makes homes beautiful. Since siding covers a huge part of the exterior, it plays a huge role in your home’s curb appeal. When you install new siding, not only do you get to choose from an extensive selection of fresh, vibrant colors—you can also reap many advanced benefits, especially when you choose high-quality materials. Vinyl siding, for instance, has durable but low-maintenance properties that allow you to enjoy an exterior that doesn’t warp or rot, and only needs the occasional rinse to stay beautiful and functional.
- It helps address hidden damage. Deteriorating siding allows rainwater to seep through and cause damage to the surface underneath, most notably those made of wood. The damage can grow more serious over time without you noticing it. Deciding to replace your siding can reveal the extent of damage your old siding was covering. This allows you to make necessary repairs and reinforce the strength of your replacement.
- It improves home energy efficiency. Siding also has an impact on how much heat enters or escapes from your home. Most siding materials, such as vinyl, comes with enhanced insulation, allowing you to save a little more on your monthly energy bills by keeping air leakage at bay.
#2: Door Replacement or Installation
If you’ve always wanted to give your home a facelift but have no idea where to begin, we recommend starting with your exterior door. Door replacement or installation might seem like such a small step, but you’ll be amazed at how much it can improve your home’s beauty, function and value. When you invest in this project, it’s possible to recover as much as 90.7% of your total project cost over time. Whether you want to install a new entry, patio or storm door, your investment will certainly have a significant impact on your home in more ways than one.
GRAND ENTRANCE: Not only are today’s exterior doors impressive in terms of the beauty and value they add to the home, but they are also extremely functional.
Some of the benefits of this upgrade include:
- It reinforces your home’s security. Most of the entry, patio and storm doors manufactured today are far more secure than older units. Galvanized steel and fiberglass are two of the strongest materials for doors, constructed with advanced technologies to resist forced entry. They also come with cutting-edge, bolt-locking systems that adds a whole new level of security to your home.
- It enhances aesthetic appeal. Yes, there are plenty of ways to spruce up the appearance of your home from the outside, but a professional door replacement is one of the quickest ways to elevate its beauty. Your exterior doors are the focal point of your home’s exterior, and while effective functionality is a top priority, it’s essential that your doors are appealing and complement your architecture well.
- It offers better soundproofing. Even when shut, some doors still allow outside noise to permeate your living spaces. New entry, patio and storm doors are specifically manufactured for energy efficiency and boast the added benefit of keeping out unwanted noise from cars and neighboring properties, thanks to their exceptional sealing systems.
#3: Window Replacement
Windows are highly important elements in the overall structure of your home. They allow natural air and light to enter your spaces, of course, but they play a critical role in both your home’s interior and exterior design as well. Replacement windows have the ability to transform your home from classic to contemporary, neutral to lively, or even serious to airy. With all the new materials, colors and styles available today, windows offer endless options to boost your home’s beauty.
However, getting replacement windows isn’t just about improving the look of your home. They are also a truly valuable investment. In fact, they can help you recoup as much as 73.96% of the total cost of your project over time.
GREAT ENERGY SAVINGS: Window replacement is one of the most popular home improvement projects, mainly because of its contribution to a home’s energy efficiency.
Here are other benefits window replacement offer:
- It helps increase energy savings. Today’s replacement units are more energy-efficient than older models. That’s because windows are no longer simply a component that allows us to view the outdoors—they are also an important factor in increasing your home’s energy efficiency. Drafts and energy loss are common to inefficient windows, that’s why most windows manufactured today come with multiple panes, insulated frames, low-emissivity glass coatings, gas fills and other advanced features.
- It boosts interior comfort. Replacement windows can minimize, if not completely eliminate, air leakages that often result in high utility costs. These leaks can also make your spaces too hot or too cold. With new, efficient windows, your HVAC units can better regulate your interior temperature and comfort.
- It promotes sustainability. By helping manage the temperature inside your home, replacement windows allow utility systems to use less energy, which is good for the environment. If you’re looking for an environmentally responsible project that offers better ROI compared to other renovations, then window replacement is the best way to go.
There’s no better time to invest in a home improvement project than right now. If you’ve delayed some upgrades over the years, then you might want to pursue them in preparation for the coming season. After all, most renovation projects, specifically siding, door and window replacement, promise to add a remarkable value to your home. Not only that, they can also make a significant difference in the way your home looks and functions. Start planning your home improvement project today and ensure success with the help of an experienced and reliable contractor.
John Zatwarnytsky is the vice president of Homecraft, Inc. Leading one of Delaware’s top home contractors and roofers, he’s responsible for ensuring all projects flow smoothly, passionate about providing customers the best service around. He reaches out to more people, however, by writing in the company blog about common home improvement and roofing concerns. Check it out for updates from John!