Thinking about replacing your old, worn out siding? Today, there are plenty of siding replacement options on the market, which makes it doubly difficult for homeowners to choose what is right for their home. Vinyl and wood are two of the most popular options and for a good reason.
Vinyl is great for resisting moisture damage and is also known for its low-maintenance qualities. Wood, on the other hand, is among the most aesthetically pleasing options you can choose. Aside from these two, however, one siding material option has consistently been on the rise—fiber cement. Why so? Because fiber cement siding offers all the amazing qualities of vinyl and wood, and other materials besides, like steel and stucco.
JAMES HARDIE: As an award-winning company founded over 100 years ago, James Hardie remains a top industry player with its high-quality and innovative fiber cement siding products.
James Hardie® is one of the most widely used manufacturers of fiber cement siding in the country. For more than a century, this company has focused on creating exterior products that can accommodate all kinds of climate. Unlike other materials, James Hardie fiber cement siding performs well at any temperature.
Compare it with vinyl, which doesn’t insulate well and can also melt in extremely hot temperatures; and wood, which can easily curl or rot over time when exposed to the elements, and you’ve got a clear winner. James Hardie siding is engineered to stand up against inclement weather and all changes in temperature.
Replacing your home’s siding isn’t an annual thing so you may not be aware of what’s new in the exterior siding market space. In this post, we want to share why you should consider giving your home a makeover with James Hardie siding, along with the benefits of doing so.
What is Fiber Cement Siding, Anyway?
Fiber cement was first introduced just over 25 years ago, and today, nearly 15% of new homes and many of the TV projects of the renowned show, This Old House (TOH), are now clad with this siding material. The numbers continue to rise year after year, as a growing number of customers become aware of the amazing benefits of fiber cement.
INNOVATIVE SIDING MATERIAL: Fiber cement offers numerous advantages over other materials: superior strength, low maintenance, and better insulation—all at a much more affordable price.
Fiber cement is an innovative mixture of wood pulp, fly ash, portland cement, and water. This material is extremely strong—in fact, it can resist both fire and moisture well. It can also be painted and made to look like wood clapboard, brick, stone, or stucco, minus the expensive price tag. Many homeowners and contractors prefer this siding option over others because it keeps costs down, without compromising the safety and comfort of those living in the structure.
A Wide Selection of James Hardie Fiber Cement Siding Products
Not all homes are created equal. Architectural design preferences, as well as the lifestyles of the families living in them, will often mean that each home will require unique materials to meet the specific needs of its owners. Fortunately, you don’t have to look too far for high-quality products that offer versatile advantages.
You’ll be impressed by the complete array of fiber cement options that James Hardie provides. These products are not only gorgeous—they are also durable and easy to maintain. With James Hardie’s ColorPlus® Technology, you can forget having to repair your siding every few years!
James Hardie siding products are all designed to meet your unique needs, and each option will complement your individual style–color and all.
ENDLESS CHOICES: James Hardie understands that your home has its own unique needs. For that reason, it offers a wide array of fiber cement options to help you choose the right one for your home.
- HardiePlank® Siding – One of the most popular choices in siding, HardiePlank is a lap siding that comes in a wide variety of textures and styles, all of which are engineered for climate. It earned the Good Housekeeping Seal in 2013 and comes with a 30-year non-prorated, transferable, limited warranty.
- HardieShingle® Siding – If you want a traditional board design, consider HardieShingle siding. It’s a vertical siding option that offers a board-and-batten appearance, particularly if you pair it with HardieTrim boards. Like HardiePlank, it also carries the 30-year non-prorated, transferable, limited warranty offered by the company.
- HardieTrim® – With this product, you can enjoy the perfect finish to your home. HardieTrim boards come with a 15-year transferable, limited warranty coverage.
- HardiePanel® Siding – As with HardieShingle, this product is a traditional board design siding. Its vertical style will give you that old-world feel with a high-quality layout. HardiePanel is available with a 30-year non-prorated, transferable, limited warranty.
- Artisan® Siding – Combining the Artisan lap and accent trim, this James Hardie product offers a beautiful color and texture to your home’s exterior. It complements virtually any architecture and delivers a superb finish that adds glamour to your design. Apart from its aesthetic benefits, Artisan siding also provides you with a durable surface that can withstand intense weather conditions and temperature fluctuations.
Reasons to Choose James Hardie Products
There are plenty of reasons James Hardie stands out among the competition. With their fiber cement siding installed on your home, you can rest easy knowing you’ll receive utmost protection and the best investment for your hard-earned money. Check out some of the benefits of James Hardie siding:
- Versatile in Design. James Hardie’s fiber cement siding can be made to look like any other material, even real wood. Whether you want something that will give you the feel of cedar shingles or wood shakes, you can enjoy stellar aesthetic advantages with this product. You can choose from virtually any color to suit your existing home design and personal style, and no one will realize that it’s fiber cement, not wood.
- Low-Maintenance. Although James Hardie’s fiber cement siding is designed to look like other materials, it doesn’t function similarly. For instance, wood can peel or crack due to weather exposure over time. With James Hardie, you get the advantage of ColorPlus technology, helping minimize damage to your siding and allowing it remain beautiful for a longer period.
- Stands Up to Climate Changes. Excessive amounts of rain, hail, and wind can take their toll on your existing siding, letting it deteriorate even before it reaches the end of its lifespan. Fortunately, James Hardie is engineered to avoid damage from wet weather and strong winds.
- Rot-Resistant. Fiber cement siding has a composition so durable, that moisture won’t be able to permeate as easily. This feature helps resist rot and damage much longer than other materials can.
For all these reasons (and more), James Hardie is one of your best choices for your siding replacement project. It’s so strong and reliable that you could have it for decades, instead of a few years like you would with other alternatives. Plus, it offers a picture-perfect design that makes your home stand out in the neighborhood. For your home’s exterior, you need an investment that is truly worth your time and money—and James Hardie is exactly that.
Jon graduated from Robinson High School in 1993 and attended George Mason University to study business, math, and history. While attending college, he worked as a project estimator for a remodeling firm where he would learn about home construction, architecture, and the hard knocks of business. By his senior year in college, he decided to start his own remodeling business and spent the next 16 years building his firm into one of the largest remodeling companies in Northern Virginia, from the ground up. While attending George Mason University, Jon met the love of his life, Kimberly, who was also a history major. They would get married in 2005 and settle in Arlington, VA, where they live today with their beautiful daughter and two dogs, Hunter and Mosby.