Age and extreme weather can be particularly harsh on your roof, allowing for damage that can hamper its stability and performance. This makes it easy for rainwater to find its way into your home. Roof leaks may be a minor annoyance, but even the smallest one can leave your home open to structural and aesthetic problems when left unattended. If you want to head off further damage, you need to make sure you know how to spot the telltale signs of roof leaks.
It’s time to take a walk in and around your home, preferably with a ready pair of binoculars. A preliminary visual inspection can help you spot a bit of the damage your roof has sustained. Here are some of the indications that your roof may have sprung a leak:
It pays to deal with roof leaks immediately before they compromise your home’s comfort and structural integrity.
- Water Stains and Streaks. Any unexplained presence of water inside your home is likely a roof leak. They may come in the form of stains or streaks on your walls and ceiling. They are easy to spot most of the time–water stains look like large brown puddles on your ceiling–but some of them appear in darker corners of your home. Streaks and stains don’t necessarily mean that the leak is right overhead. Small ones, in fact, can be a sign of a larger leak elsewhere on your roof. Some of the other indications
- Damaged or Missing Shingles. Are your shingles cracked, buckling, or curling? Maybe you’ve even noticed patches of missing material on your roof’s surface. Hail and wind damage might be the reason for these, which in turn, allows water to penetrate and drip onto the roof deck.
- Loose or Torn Flashing. Your system’s flashing is thin, metal pieces that are installed under the roofing material and around joints, creating a weather-resistant barrier. They cover the most vulnerable areas of your roofing system, including around chimneys, skylights, vents, and valleys. Torn or loose flashing, either due to impact damage or blow-off, can’t effectively protect your home from water damage. Because water can easily seep into your foundation and walls, it can compromise your home’s structural integrity.
Water streaks and stains like these don’t just weaken your home’s structure, they negatively affect your home’s good looks, as well.
- Mold and Mildew Growth. Constant water exposure allows mold and mildew to develop within your home. Look for discoloration, dampness, and warping. A musty, unpleasant smell is also an indication. When leaks go on long enough without the appropriate solutions, they encourage mold growth, which can lead to both structural and health issues.
- Failing Insulation and Ventilation. When you have a roof leak, you may notice that your attic has become stuffy. This is due to water damaging your insulation and ventilation, hampering their ability to keep a stable temperature inside your home. In fact, this puts extra load on your HVAC system, resulting in high energy costs.
If you spot any or all of these warning signs, it’s more than likely that your roof is already leaking. Fortunately, you can easily deal with this problem by turning to a reliable roofing company for expert repair services. While leaks can turn serious when overlooked, they usually don’t require a roof replacement. In fact, professional repairs is the most sensible solution, allowing for these excellent advantages:
- Roof repair extends your system’s lifespan. This home improvement project helps prevent issues, like leaks, from worsening. Because of this, your roof can continue providing the superior protection and lasting performance you’ve come to expect. This means a drier, sturdier home that’s free from wind, rain, or hail damage.
Expert repairs from a trusted roofing company can deal with leaks and head off further problems, allowing for a longer-lasting system.
- Roof repair saves you money. You’ll be replacing your roof eventually, but it doesn’t have to be this year. Roof repair can keep your system in good repair, letting you avoid premature failure and replacement, plus the considerable expenses involved with them.
To get the most of this home improvement, you need to make sure you’re hiring the right roofing company for the job. You’ll be depending heavily on their expertise to ensure that the entire process runs smoothly, after all. One of the first things you can do is weeding out the shadier contractors from the bunch. They’ll be the ones who would knock on your door after a heavy storm and offer repair services that seem almost too good to be true. Hint: they often are. The only things you’ll be getting out of this bargain are subpar workmanship, defective materials, and additional costs to fix the mistakes they’ve made.
Here are some handy tips that ensure you’re hiring the best roofing contractors for your repair needs:
- Choose local. Narrow down your selection by asking friends and neighbors for local referrals. They will give you a more accurate description of how your prospective roofer does business and what your experience will be like. A local roofer can also help cut back on travel times. This means you’re sure that the work will be done on schedule. Because they rely on the community for their business, they’ll also give your project the attention it deserves.
- Look for the necessary credentials. They should carry the required business license, which makes them eligible to perform roofing work in your area. Other essentials to check for include proof of insurance, along with workers’ compensation and liability coverage. All of these can add an extra layer of protection to you and your investment. Should anything goes wrong during the repair project, you can avoid potential litigation and additional costs.
Choosing a reliable roofer for your repair project goes a long way in ensuring a safer, smoother process.
- Check for manufacturer certifications. You’ll want a contractor who doesn’t just claim superior workmanship that adheres to quality standards–they have to prove it, as well. This is where manufacturer designations come in. They serve as a badge of honor, indicating that the roofer has met stringent testing and training set by the brands they carry.
- Make sure they practice the applicable safety measures. Hire a roofer who doesn’t take shortcuts. Roof repair usually requires a building permit and your prospective contractor should have no qualms applying for the necessary one. A roofer who does everything by the book, which includes using the appropriate gear and equipment, plus practicing safety measures, makes all the difference in an ensuring a successful home improvement.
When your roof has leaks, head off further problems by investing in professional repairs by a trusted roofing contractor. This way, you can keep a dry and damage-free home and ensure a longer-lasting roof delivering exceptional weather performance in any season.
Neil Cagle is the Founder and current President of All American Roofing. He started this premier roofing company with the aim to provide quality solutions and products to the home improvement needs of Oklahoma City and Tulsa communities. Today, Neil’s company has been recognized as being one of the top roofing companies in the country.