Image Source: Pexels
As our parents get older, it may put us in a situation where they need more our care on a daily basis to help them. There are some tips to help both of you help each other and still take care of yourself. Read below, as well as additional research you find on your own, to start forming your caretaking game plan.
The Physical Living Environment
Children should provide a safe home compound and indoor facilities that pose no risks to the aging parents.
- Extra lighting to increase visibility to avoid the risk of falling when moving around the house.
- Lighting along the stairs and replacing the slippery stair rails with rough metal rails that are easy to grip.
- Install rough floor tiles to prevent slip and fall accidents.
- Lower the wall cabinets, shelves, and drawers so that the aging family member does not strain to reach household items.
- Install non-skid tapes or traction tapes on the bathtubs, bathroom floors, or shower rooms to reduce the chances of accidental injuries on the slippery floors.
Loneliness And Social Isolation
Helping the seniors stay active and socialize prevents depression and help them live more fulfilling lives.
- Social isolation can increase mortality, and lonely older adults die sooner just as they are likely to suffer declined mobility.
- To help your lonely and aging citizens, move your parents to active living programs centers or senior citizens homes. Alternatively, relocate your dad or mom to where you stay, and start seeing how the family company is a magical therapy to the elderly.
If you take the wise decision to relocate your parents, moving companies such as Wheaton World Wide Moving, will gladly assist in the moving plan for seniors who are downsizing. It’s often a good idea to have moving companies help you to ensure the process goes smoothly.
Proximity To Quality Medical Centers
Moving your parent to a new residence gives you happiness from knowing that your dad or mom is close to quality medical care. The parents can live in your house or nearby home for the elderly. An apartment for senior citizens in the neighborhood is a perfect choice too.
As your parents age, their needs keep changing. Elderly citizens require wholehearted support from the children. Do not spare any effort that makes your parents age gracefully. You should not hesitate to even consider employing a companion for your parents.