Given how window or door replacement can take a significant amount of your time and money, you need to make sure you get the most out of it. This means hiring a reliable installer who can ensure the job runs smoothly from start to finish. Looking for the right one, however, may be a bit daunting.
You can ask your friends and neighbors for local referrals, which provides a more accurate description of the experience you’ll have with a given home improvement company. But, the process will also be easier if you augment that referral with a bit of research. A simple online search will give you some of the information you’ll need. You’ll know you’re in good hands when the door or window installer you’re interested in has the following five qualities:
Having the necessary licenses means your door or window installer met the requirements to operate in your area, ensuring quality, professional work. A licensed installer also means they are deeply familiar with local building codes and regulations. Given how door or window replacement require modifications to your home’s ingress and egress, hiring someone licensed ensure that the work adheres to the applicable safety standards.
You should hire only an established installer to ensure you’re working with a legitimate business. This is where online searches get handy. Look them up and see if they have:
- A physical business address and a working phone number, plus an updated website. You’ll want an installer you can instantly reach should you have any concerns about the work being done.
- Satisfactory scores and reviews on trade sites like Better Business Bureau and Angie’s List. This gives you an idea on how the installer does business. Can they deliver quality workmanship? Are they customer-centric? The reviews can help you weed out the undesirable contractors from the bunch.
- Specialization in door or window replacement. Deep know-how on every phase of the project ensure that the work gets completed on time and on budget.
You’ll be relying on your door and window installer’s experience to ensure a safe, worry-free installation process. Because they have worked on countless replacement projects through the years, they have the means to guarantee that your door or window installation will be done right the first time. This means everything remains on schedule with hardly a hiccup, plus no callbacks to fix mistakes.
An experienced installer will listen to your needs and offer solutions that can meet them. They’ll keep you apprised in every aspect of the installation and make sure to keep your home and belongings protected from unnecessary mess and damage. They may also take care of the cleanup after the job is completed and make sure your new door or window is operating as expected.
You know you’re working with an expert when you hire a certified door or window installer. Earning a certification from the leading brands allows your contractor to:
- Offer high-quality replacement doors and windows. This means products made of durable and energy-efficient framing material and glass, helping improve your home’s look and feel.
- Guarantee installation which adheres to the manufacturer’s quality standards.
- Provide generous product warranties, which may include material and installation coverage. Working with a certified installer who can offer these adds an extra layer of protection to you and your investment.
Window or door replacement may look straightforward, but accidents can still happen. Hiring an insured installer for the project can protect you and your investment better should anything untoward happen. Make sure they have workers’ compensation and liability coverage so you won’t be held accountable for injuries or property damage.
The Advantage of Hiring a Local Installer
There’s one other thing you should consider when choosing your installer–make sure to go local. Hiring a contractor in your area can offer many advantages, including:
- Never having to worry about travel times, ensuring your installer can start work promptly and complete it according to schedule and budget.
- Providing your project with the customer excellence you’ve come to expect. They rely on the community for their business, so you’re sure they’ll give the work their utmost attention.
- Credible referrals. Because local installers carefully maintain their reputation within the community, they’ll treat you with respect and deliver superior workmanship.
- One-on-one interaction, which builds trust and ensures clearer communication.
Finding a reliable door or window installer make take a bit of work but working with one is one of the most important decisions you’ll make when it comes to your home improvement project. Now that you know which qualities to look for, finding the right door or window installer should be easier.
Kenneth Biddle has more than 30 years in the home improvement industry. As a part of Renewal by Andersen of Dallas and Fort Worth, he puts a priority on craftsmanship excellence and working with homeowners to get what they want, need and deserve. For updates from Ken, check out the company blog!